Supporting hearts through the Quran. sponsored by Lighthouse for Humanity: Bloomfield Muslim Community Center and Dersana
The Brothers Support Group is a weekly support group sponsored by Lighthouse for Humanity: Bloomfield Muslim Community Center and Dersana. The group was created with an aim of supporting the hearts of new convert believers. Overtime we have realized we are all in need, convert or not, in the Quranic message which is according to Allah a healing: ” O mankind, there has to come to you instruction from your Lord and healing for what is in the breasts and guidance and mercy for the believers.” ~ Quran 10:57
We use a 2 prong approach to healing:
The Quran is healing for the hearts and brotherhood is also healing and support for the heart. The aim of both is to attain Jannah. The Prophet (ﷺ) said: A man follows the religion of his friend; so each one should consider whom he makes his friend. (Abu Dawood). “Friends on that Day will be enemies one to another, except al-Muttaqoon (i.e. those who have Taqwah).” [43:67] Brotherhood helps one to stand firm against Satan and those who follow him knowingly or unknowingly. Brotherhood also help us to fight the devil within us, our base desires and the whispering Satan assigned to every one of us. As well as the whispers towards evil through advertisements, internet, TV, music and movies. Allah has ordered the believers to use mashwara (consultation) with dua (supplication) and salah (prayer) before making decisions in life even down to simple matters such as purchasing a certain food or not. Because every second down to an atom is recorded So whoever does an atom’s weight of good will see it, And whoever does an atom’s weight of evil will see it. 99:7-99:8 it is imperative that we are constantly aware of our actions and speech and constantly asking for guidance for future and forgiveness for past. The ultimate goal being the pleasure of God and admission into Jannah together.
Goals of support group – takes time through consistent attendance
- To support existing Iman (belief). Spirituality, belief in Allah, Unseen world, Books, Prophets, Hereafter and Qadr (everything good or bad comes from God).
- To increase Iman (belief) so that one can withstand ones life through reliance on God
- To increase emotional, mental, and physical support
6:00pm Dinner potluck begins Introductions for new people OR highs and lows: high point and low point for last week
6:30pm Overview of rules with Turkish tea
7:00pm Start Quran Study
7:45pm Prayer – Group dua – everyone prays outloud for what they want or need and everyone says Ameen
8:00pm go home
Method of our Quran study
1. Start with a Dua (supplication) asking for Allah’s guidance.
2. Read Quran in Arabic
3. To read Quranic translation
4. Ask questions on anything ambiguous regarding the verse , refer ambiguity to tafsir ibn Kathir .
5. Each person states how the verse affects their personal struggles in the past, present or future. How it will help them become a better person. We are here to overcome our ego (desires), destroy our egos through the Quran. This will help us get closer to each other by expressing our emotions. The goal is to create an emotional connection with the Quran and each other as Brothers in faith. The Quran speaks to every individual uniquely to their unique life and experiences. Every person will have a different emotional connection and understanding. When the emotional connection is cemented it becomes easy to cry as the Sahaba (companions) cried upon hearing the Quran. May Allah grant us such an awesome state, Ameen Ajmaeen. And they fall down on their faces weeping and it adds to their humility. 17:109
6. Unless asked directly no one gives their personal opinions or any advice. Unless we feel its an emergency
Everything said in this space stays in this space. Nothing leaves this room. This is a sanctuary for divine and brotherly guidance without judgement. We ask that sins are not revealed in this group. But if sins are revealed we will pray for your guidance and give guidance only when asked.
Guidance on Quranic Study:
We should not say I believe it means this or I think it means this, or I heard this shaykh say this, or this is what it means. There are all authoritative or speculative. Will leave both of those aspects to the ulema. We are here to have the Quran speak to each of us and each of us will respond differently, because each of us is struggling right now through different challenges.
Disclaimer: it should be clearly stated none of us are scholars of the Quran. The Quran is a deep science the study of which includes knowing a basis of foundation including:
1. Asbab al Nuzul – the time, place and circumstance of the verses revelation
2. Madinan or Makkan verse
3. Wa Nasikh wa al Mansuk – the abrogating and abrogated verses
4. Knowledge of the language
5. Knowledge of grammar, morphology, and derivations of words
6. Knowledge of rhetoric (balaga)
7. Knowledge of variant readings
8. Knowledge of legal methodology
9. Knowledge of theology (Aqida)
10. Knowledge of Hadith related to tafsir
Are we allowed to read Quran and derive spiritual benefit from it?
“Do they not then think deeply on the Quran, or are their hearts locked up (from understanding it)?” 47:24
“(This is) a Book (the Quran) which We have sent down to you, full of blessings that they may ponder over its Verses, and that men of understanding may remember.” 38:29 According Dr Yasir Qahdi in his “Sciences of the Quran” youtube series: we are allowed to open the quran and get a basic meaning. But not derive law or try to give meaning to obscure verses or even say I think Allah means this or I think Allah means that which he said is prohibited. Shaykh Hamza Yusuf advised against even translating the Quran which just Arabic knowledge. We refer you to UloomulQuran (sciences of the Quran) by Mufti Taqi Usmani pg372-… which goes indepth.
Final disclaimer: In circles of knowledge there can as in any circle of people, lack of sincerity and showing off. We become concerned how others will think of us. We also sometimes become concerned but others people Iman. We are only responsible for our own imam. Please be mindful of your current state of Iman in the Halaqa. Be mindful of the Angels on your shoulders writing down your every word and every feeling and facial expression. And realize that there is no benefit to this gathering except that your intention is to please and get closer to Allah. Sincerity is the essence of Islam.